Abdominal pain is very unpleasant feeling that can affect individuals of any age. It has a myriad of causes. Pain is mainly the result of dietary errors, failure to hygiene, but also hidden disease. It can be quite often very serious condition endangering the patient's life. It is recommended to not underestimate abdominal pain and immediately seek professional medical help. Abdominal pain can be divided according to various criteria such as the relevance of disease, precise localization, organ from which it emanates, and more. However, it is important for proper treatment to reveal the cause of abdominal pain.
Types of Abdominal pain
Abdominal pain is an unpleasant feeling that usually comes on suddenly. It can be evoked by a number of causes. There are four main types of abdominal pain, which helps physicians establish the diagnosis. These are:
Sharp abdominal pain that the patient perceives as stabbing intense pain with precise localization. This means that the patient is able to determine the exact location of pain.
Blunt abdominal pain that the patient senses as pressure which is more annoying than painful. It is hard to localize and the patient indicates rather an area where he feels the pressure.
Crampy abdominal pain which the patient describes as an astringent feelings in the abdominal area. Sometimes the patient is unable to give exact location. Often come in bouts that are separated by a rest phase.
Bloating is an uncomfortable feeling of fullness which reflects in inflation. It is caused by accumulation of gas in the intestines.
Causes of abdominal pain
There are numerous causes of abdominal pain. As already mentioned, the description of type of pain can greatly assist physicians in tracking down the causation of disease. We can distinguish by cause these types of abdominal pain:
- Acute abdomen is a sudden, severe abdominal pain that lasts less than 24 hours. It is one of the most serious diagnoses of abdominal pain. Within acute abdomen we must think of number of diagnoses such as appendicitis, perforated gastric or duodenal ulcer, acute inflammation of the gallbladder or pancreas, iliac passion, ectopic pregnancy, acute ureteric colic and many others. This is a situation that is acute and requires immediate medical attention. Therefore, even the slightest suspicion needs urgent medical help. There are also often associated symptoms such as vomiting or temperature but it is not a rule. According to this, it is not advisable to wait or rely on accompanying symptoms.
- Gallstones, cholelithiasis professionally, is presence of bile duct stones in the gallbladder or bile ducts. This is a very common disease that affects women three times more often than men. The patient may not know about the disease for many years and if disease occurs the patient can be in life-threatening condition. Gallstones manifest as severe pain which appears on the right side below the ribs, i.e. right hypogastrium and pain may radiate to the scapula.
- Gastroenteritis or inflammation of the stomach and intestine is common disease that affects everyone several times in a life. Diarrhoea and / or vomiting occurs in addition to abdominal pain. Gastroenteritis develops usually after consumption of infected food. It may initially seem very dramatic but within a day or a few days pain and other symptoms subside. Problematic situation occurs in young children because it can come to rapid dehydration caused by repeating vomiting and diarrhoea. According to this increased attention to replenishment of fluids and minerals is necessary.
- Gastric or duodenal ulcers can be completely asymptomatic for a long time. But later there is a pain which occurs repeatedly, especially in the middle of upper abdomen, vomiting of blood or blood in the stool. Stool can take up to black colour and then we talk about melena.
- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are inflammatory diseases of bowels which causation is not known. Associated symptoms are diarrhoea, blood in stools and abdominal cramps, and pain is localized around the waist.
- Inguinal hernia is condition where in the groin area appears soft flexible lump which can be generally pushed back into the abdominal cavity. It is particularly apparent when we lifting heavy objects, coughing, sneezing or strain at a stool. Inguinal hernia may or may not be painful.
- Stress is another cause of abdominal pain and it is proof of that even the individual's psychological state can contribute to this pain. It typically appears as the result of personal and professional problems. The pain comes soon after meal and it is located in the middle of abdomen.
- Changes in eating habits are also common cause of abdominal pain. For example, they typically occur when traveling, especially to areas with culinary delights which are totally different from ours. Intestine is not prepared to this kind of meal and mostly reacts by diarrhoea with abdominal pain.
- Abdominal pain during pregnancy is evidence of that abdominal pain is not only related to diseases or other changes in the digestive tract. If the pain is intense and is associated with vaginal bleeding it could result in miscarriage. Therefore, it is important to immediately seek medical help. The more is birth near the more moms feel hardening in lower abdomen which shows as the hard and tense stomach for about 30 seconds. However, this should not cause pain in the right sense.
- Pain during menstruation is related to cycle and is localized in the lower abdomen. Shooting pain into loins is often present and also diarrhoea occurs. This pain shows during the first days of menstrual cycle.
- Other diagnoses associated with abdominal pain: irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), lactose (milk sugar) intolerance, stomach cancer, oesophageal hernia, abdominal muscle strain and more...
In conclusion about abdominal pain...
The decision to visit the doctor for abdominal pain is very difficult question because some diseases that can look very dramatic, in fact, are basically harmless and vice versa. However, it is generally known that if the pain is severe and persistent, it should be always treated. Finally, it is necessary to think about abdominal pain as the state that may be indication of an acute abdomen, which can be life-treating for the patient and often requires immediate surgical intervention.